Proclamations are a specific type of document requested by organizations to commemorate a particular holiday or date or group. Proclamations have their own set of guidelines and procedures. Please review the guidelines below before submitting a request.
At their discretion, the City Council will issue proclamations and certificates for noteworthy state or local events that deserve special recognition. The City Clerk’s Office handles requests for proclamations.
- A City of Morgantown resident must make the request.
- Requests must be made no fewer than 45 days in advance and no more than 120 days in advance of the date you need the proclamation.
- Requests must be completed via this form.
- Neither mailed, faxed, hand-delivered, e-mailed nor phone requests will be honored.
- Proclamations should not take sides in matters of political controversy; nor should they address personal or individual convictions.
- Multiple requests by the same organization will not be honored within the same calendar year.
- Every request must gain official approval before being issued.
- City Council reserves the right to modify or deny any proclamation request.
- Please note that proclamations will be delivered no more than two weeks in advance of the proclamation date.
WHAT TO INCLUDE
- Contact person's first and last name, address and telephone number.
- A brief summary and/or background of the event or organization.
- The name and date(s) of the day, week, month, or event to be proclaimed.
- Proposed text for the proclamation, including 4-6 “Whereas” clauses.
- An indication of whether the completed proclamation should be mailed (standard U.S. mail) or if you will pick it up.
- A date when the proclamation is needed.
Proclamations are not automatically renewed from year to year. You must submit a new proclamation for each year. If you would like to request a proclamation, please complete and submit the Proclamation Request form. For more information about Proclamations, please call the City Clerk’s office at 304-284-7434.