Halloween is a fun time for everyone. There a few tips that parents and children can follow to make sure they have a fun and safe time trick-or-treating.
Parents should follow these tips:
- Know what route or neighborhood your children will be trick-or-treating;
- Make sure your child’s costume has reflective gear. If it doesn’t, they should carry a flashlight or glowstick to make them more visible;
- Only cross the street at designated crosswalks;
- Make sure your child’s costume does not impede their ability to walk or see; and
- Always inspect your children’s candy before they consume it.
Children should follow these tips:
- Always walk in a group and never go alone;
- Stick to the sidewalks and stay out of the street and residents’ yards;
- Never accept rides from strangers;
- Stay on well-lit streets; and
- Never go into a house when trick or treating.
If you are planning to hand out candy to trick-or-treaters this Halloween, make sure that your porch light is on. This let’s children and parents know that you are participating in trick-or-treat.
There are two trick-or-treat times that residents should be aware of. Main Street Morgantown will host trick-or-treating at downtown businesses on Wednesday, Oct. 30 from 5:30 to 7:30 p.m. Residential trick or treating will take place citywide on Thursday, Oct. 31 from 6 to 8 p.m.