Step 4: Certificate of Occupancy

Step 4: Apply for Certificate of Occupancy

This is required for all new and existing businesses located within city limits. Businesses that are changing names, changing ownership, or moving to a new location must also obtain this. This is also required before you can legally occupy your building and conduct business operations. To obtain an application, the following items are required:
  • Completed application,
  • An 8 ½ " x 11 inches scaled and dimensional floor plan (total square footage and proposed use)
  • And payment made out to the City: cash, check or credit.
At the time of submission, you will be given a card with information for the Fire Marshall and the Code Enforcement Officer that will be handling your inspection.

No Tenant Improvements

If the occupancy does not involve tenant improvements, contact the Code Enforcement Division within 10 days of submitting your application to schedule an on-site inspection. Once inspected and approved by all departments, an official certificate of occupancy will be mailed.

Tenant Improvements

If occupancy does require tenant improvements contact the assigned inspector to obtain information about plans submission requirements.


All businesses applying for a Certificate of Occupancy must contact Code Enforcement and the Fire Marshal with enough time to schedule an inspection no less than one week before opening day. Bars, nightclubs, and restaurants are considered to be assembly occupies under the Fire Code. The parameters that govern these types of establishments are much more in-depth than your typical small business. Please contact the City Fire Marshal's Office for more information on the Fire Code for these establishments.