For the meeting on September 6, 2022 at 7 p.m. in Monongalia County Commission Chambers located at 243 High Street.IMPORTANT NOTE: Due to upcoming renovations at Morgantown City Hall all Morgantown City Council meetings will be held in Monongalia County Commission Chambers located on the second floor of the Monongalia County Building at 243 High Street.
Morgantown City Council Regular Meeting Highlights
- APPROVING A LEASE AGREEMENT AT THE MORGANTOWN MUNICIPAL AIRPORT: At the recommendation of the Airport Director, this ordinance would authorize a lease agreement with EAN Holdings, LLC which operates Enterprise Rent-A-Car, Alamo Rent-A-Car, and National Car Rental for services and the use of space at the Morgantown Municipal Airport.
- APPLYING FOR GRANT FUNDS TO IMPROVE DRIVER EDUCATION AND PUBLIC SAFETY: At the recommendation of the Morgantown Police Department, council will vote to authorize a grant application to the Governor's Highway Safety Program for $73,000. The funds will be used by the MPD to provide effective enforcement and education regarding red light and stop sign running, speeding/aggressive driving, school bus safety, occupant protection, impaired driving, and distracted driving.
- PROVIDING FOR A SCHOOL RESOURCE OFFICER AND PREVENTION RESOURCE OFFICER AT LOCAL SCHOOLS: At the recommendation of the Morgantown Police Department, council will vote to authorize an agreement with the Monongalia County Board of Education to provide a School Resource Officer for Morgantown High School and a Prevention Resource Officer for Suncrest Middle School.
- REVISING THE 2022-2023 ANNUAL BUDGET FOR THE CAPITAL ESCROW FUND: At the recommendation of the Finance Director, this resolution would amend the the fiscal year 2022-2023 budget for the Capital Escrow Fund. This revision would increase the Capital Escrow Fund budget to $10,748,776 to primarily account for monies being carried forward from the previous fiscal year budget. This would bring the amended budget for the Capital Escrow Fund to $19,256,967.
- SUPPORTING THE VISION ZERO PROGRAM AND ITS EFFORTS TO ELIMINATE TRAFFIC DEATHS: This resolution would endorse the Vision Zero program goal of eliminating deaths and serious injuries on area streets; with an emphasis on protecting the most vulnerable users of the local transportation systems. The resolution provides for the City of Morgantown to work with the Morgantown Monongalia Metropolitan Planning Organization (MMMPO) to achieve Vision Zero goals and for city departments to support implementation of the Vision Zero Action Plan.
- MAKING IMPROVEMENTS TO THE METROPOLITAN THEATRE: At the recommendation of the Director of Arts and Cultural Development, council will vote to award a bid to replace the HVAC system at The Metropolitan Theatre. The bid would be awarded to CP&H in the amount $524,800. The HVAC bid is part of a planned renovation project funded in the capital budget for this year and includes replacement of the entire system. The Department of Arts & Cultural Development recently received a $75,000 grant from the West Virginia Commission on the Arts to support this work and help offset costs.
- WORKING WITH MUB AND BOPARC TO ESTABLISH PUBLIC RECREATION AT THE FLEGAL RESERVOIR: At the recommendation of the City Manager, council will vote to approve an agreement between the city, Morgantown Utility Board and BOPARC to provide for the establishment, maintenance, and operation of public recreation facilities at the Flegal Reservoir and Dam property. The agreement details the roles and responsibilities of each entity.
- REVIEWING A VACANT STRUCTURES EXEMPTION REQUEST: At the request of the applicant, council will review a vacant structures exemption request for 2100 Listravia Avenue.
- SETTING TRICK-OR-TREAT TIMES IN THE CITY OF MORGANTOWN: City Council will discuss and set trick-or-treat times within the city limits of the City of Morgantown.