FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
Spring Outdoor Burning Restrictions
MORGANTOWN, W.Va. - Morgantown residents are reminded that some outdoor burning restrictions are in place through May 31, 2022. Outdoor burning is prohibited between the hours of 7 a.m. and 5 p.m. unless a burning permit is issued by the WV Forestry Department. The Morgantown Fire Department reminds area residents to be aware of the following requirements or restrictions:
- Outdoor burning is only permitted during the evening and overnight hours of 5 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- No burning is authorized during the daytime hours of 7 a.m. to 5 p.m.
- Only naturally occurring vegetation and materials can be burned
- Someone needs to be with the fire at all times
- A 10’ foot safety area needs to be cleared to dirt level around the fire
- Open fires must be 50’ feet away from any structure
- If your fire escapes, you are responsible for the cost of fighting the fire, and any damage the fire may cause to others
- Violation of burning laws may result in a fine of up to $1,000
Special commercial burning permits must be obtained from the local WV Forestry Office in Farmington. They can be reached at (304) 825-6983.