The City Attorney represents the City of Morgantown and advises the City Manager
, City Council
, and staff as general counsel to the city. The City Attorney's office does not give legal advice to individual citizens.
Role of the City Attorney
- Prepares ordinances and resolutions for City Council
- Drafts and reviews contracts as requested
- Represents the city in litigated matters
- Advises the city in real estate transactions
- Provides general counsel as needed
Prosecution of Municipal Court
cases is handled by a separate prosecutor.